Inscribed on the DC preservation League's List of Most Endangered Places for 1999.
The Brooks Mansion is a singular example of brick Greek Revival residential architecture in Washington, dating from the late 1830s. Built by Colonel Jehiel Brooks and his wife, Ann Margaret Queen, the mansion was the center of their 246-acre estate known as Bellair. In 1887, the property was sold and subdivided, creating the early railroad commuter suburb of Brookland. In 1891, the Marist Society purchased the property, by then reduced to two and a half acres, to house the Marist College. The Marist Society added a large east wing in 1894. The mansion was owned by various Catholic Orders and used for educational purposes until 1970, when it was sold to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, which threatened to demolish the building for a Metro parking lot. The District of Columbia has owned Brooks Mansion since 1979, and the property has been unoccupied since 1997. The place was included on this year's list because it is currently unoccupied, and insensitive alterations and lack of maintenance threaten the original mansion's condition. The Landmarks Committee hopes that the D.C. government will find an appropriate tenant. It was listed on the D.C. Inventory and the National Register in 1975.