1919; station established 1860. Active; focal plane 87 m (285 ft); two white flashes, a 12.3 s pause, and then one more white flash, every 30 s, shown to the northwest; also a continuous red light is shown to the south from the base of the tower at a focal plane of 77 m (253 ft). 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted stone; lantern painted white with a red dome. The original lighthouse was built too high on the cliffs, so its light could not be seen through low clouds or fog. Construction of the new tower took 5 years under very difficult conditions. Located atop a steep pinnacle above Cape Point.