The origin of this settlement seems to be from the Roman era. Remains from this period have been found at the Bertinga farm on a hill west of the castle. The village was mentioned for the first time in 1214 in a document pertaining to the church of San Michel a Volognano, while the castle is mentioned on a map from the monastery of Vallombrosa dated 1220 and in an act from 1299 stipulating 'castro de Volognano'. In the middle ages the castle was the residence of the Quona family, overlords of the castle by the same name above Remole where they lived until the castle is destroyed by the Florentines in 1143. Established at Volognano they adopt this name to distinguish themselves from other branches of the family. The Da Quona da Volognano were involved in the arson of the center of Florence during the battle between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines and for this reason, in 1304 the Guelph government occupied and destroyed the castle, after repossessing everything they found there.