Leipzig's Central Railway Station is one of the biggest railway stations in Europe. It is also called a "Cathedral of Transportation". In 1839 the first long-distance railway in Germany connected Leipzig and Dresden. Soon after the so called "Dresdner Bahnhof" the Magdeburger, Thüringer and Berliner railway stations were built. The German states Prussia and Saxony agreed that a new station had to be built - but all the facilities were doubled: one for Saxony, the other for Prussia. The new station was erected in the years 1902 to 1915 and badly damaged in WWII. After the wall came down the building was reconstructed. In addition to its function as a railway station it became an excellent shopping centre.
Category: Transportation - Rail