The Chehalis Theater was originally constructed in the late 1920’s as a car dealership and was not a movie theater until its conversion in 1938 to the Pix Theater.
Historical, Buildings - Theaters
In 1958, the theater was renovated and renamed the Chehalis Theater. Tom Moyer Luxury Theaters bought it in 1980 and closed it in 1984. It was converted into a videotape rental store that same year and operated until 1994, when the video store finally folded.
The Chehalis Theater sat empty and neglected for two years until local theater buff Daryl Lund purchased the theater and restored it to its full glory. Original Art Deco light fixtures were found in the attic, restored, and re-installed in the auditorium. Brand new seats, a new snack bar, new projector, new lamphouse, and digital sound were added. The marquee was repainted and many sections of neon were repaired or replaced.
The Chehalis Theater closed in December 2008, two months after a ten-screen multiplex opened outside of town.