The Church is a good example of a church built upon a large, almost circular mound. It has probably been sacred ground for many centuries before the coming of Christianity. In all probability St. Wilfrid dedicated the first Christian church here before 670AD.. The present church dates from the Norman period being built in 1170. Many changes took place to the building in the 13th century and it was further extended in later centuries. In the 1870s the church underwent a 15 year restoration, the Norman door arch being fitted into the new tower and the north transept being rebuilt. At the same time the outside of the church was clad in local flint. Other alterations took place in the 1950s. The tower originally contained a peel of five bells cast between 1767 and 1772. The bells were re-hung in 1890 and a new bell added at the same time.
Religious - Christianity