This is the large monument to Admiral Lord Collingwood (1750 - 1810) who was Admiral Nelson’s second in command at the Battle of Trafalgar, Oct 21st. 1805.
Cuthbert, Admiral Lord Collingwood (1750-1810) was born in Newcastle and educated there.
He entered into the Royal Navy at the age of 11 and rose to become 2nd in command of the British fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar. His family lived at Chirton House while he was mainly away at sea until his death.
The column of his monument is 23 metres high and was designed by by John Dobson and sculpted by a local artist, John Graham Lough.
The cannons on the plinth came from his flagship, HMS Royal Sovereign.