A Norman castle was built in Devizes in 1080 by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury. Because the castle was located on the boundaries of the manors of Rowde, Bishops Cannings and Potterne it became known as the castrum ad divisas or the castle at the boundaries, hence the name Devizes. The original castle was probably a wood and earth construction, but this burnt down in 1113 and was rebuilt in stone by Roger of Salisbury, Osmund’s successor. This castle changed hands several times during the civil war between Stephen of Blois and Matilda in the 12th century. The castle held several important prisoners at various times, including Robert of Normandy, eldest son of William the Conqueror in 1106. Robert was kept in Devizes for 20 years, before being moved to Cardiff. The castle was destroyed in 1648 on the orders of Parliament and today little remains of it. The current house on the site is from the 19th century.
Castles, Stately Homes