This aircraft, S/N-17278, started out as a C-47B ordered on USAAF 1942 Wartime Procurement Contract at the Douglas Oklahoma City plant. It was one of 148 U.S. C-47B's that were diverted to the U.S. Navy and re-deignited as a R4D-6S. The "S" suffix identified that it was outfitted as a submarine search aircraft. It flew along the eastern U.S. seaboard.
Vehicle - Military - Display, Airplanes - Military - Static Display - Cargo