The present Dubrovnik cathedral was built according to plans by Italian architect Buffalini from Urbino, and was completed in 1713. It was erected on the ruins of the romanesgue cathedral heavily damaged by the great earthquake. The cathedral was reconstructed in 1986, but in 1981, before reconstruction began, archeologists made a sensational discovery which showed that in the lower strata of the building there were the remains of another, even more ancient and previously unknown cathedral dating from the seventh century.
View in Google Earth Categories: Religious - Christianity
By: DonMartini
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement