The heart of the Campo dei Miracoli is the Duomo, the medieval cathedral, entitled to St. Mary. This is a five-naved basilica with a three-naved transept.

It was begun in 1064 by the architect Buscheto and is the originator of the distinctive Pisan Romanesque style in architecture. The mosaics of the interior show a strong Byzantine influence, while the pointed arches point to Muslim influences.

The fa├žade, of grey marble and white stone set with discs of coloured marble, was built by a master Rainaldo, as indicated by a write above the middle door: Rainaldus prudens operator.

In 1987 the whole square was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
View in Google Earth Categories: UNESCO, Religious - Christianity
Links: whc.unesco.org
By: DonMartini
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement