The East Capitol Street Car Barn, constructed in 1896, is a Romanesque Revival style building designed by Waddy B. Wood, a prominent Washington architect. The L-shaped building is intrinsically linked to the history of Washington's rapid transit system. The building, erected as a car barn, repair shop, and administrative offices for the Metropolitan Railroad Company, represents three important stages in rapid transit system history: 1) the electrification of Washington streetcars and the final replacement of horse drawn cars in the 1890s; 2) the consolidation of streetcar lines into a functional network in the early 20th century; and 3) the gradual replacement of the streetcar by the bus in the first half of the 20th century.
Categories: Transportation - Automotive