In October 2010, as part of a corporate downsizing, Chrysler closed their Kenosha engine plant. It effectively ended 108 years of automaking in this community.
In 1902, Thomas B. Jeffrey began building Rambler Model C's and D's in a former bicycle factory. In 1916, the Jeffrey Company was sold to Nash. The following year, a factory was built at this location to supplement other since-demolished plants located near the city's harbor.
Kenosha's factories would go on to produce cars for Nash, Hudson, AMC, Renault, and Chrysler. During World War II, Pratt and Whitney aircraft engines were built here. The final Chrysler car was built in 1988, but they kept this factory open to build engines.
During the 1960's, about 15,000 jobs were held at the city's auto plants. By 2010, only 575 workers remained.
March 2013 update - the buildings have been torn down, with a cleanup project to follow. Future plans for the property have not yet been decided.
Category: Companies - Plants/Factories