The Fort began operation in 1863 an auxiliary gun battery for Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island and was part of the principal defense structure for the Delaware River. After the Civil War. more guns were mounted and the Fort itself was constructed in 1899. It was named for Rear Admiral Samuel Francis du Pont of Delaware, a Civil War Naval Officer. During World War II two artillery- installations involving over 3,000 military personnel were stationed at Fort DuPont and 1,000) German prisoners-of-war were held there. After World War II, Fort DuPont ceased to be a military installation.
Category: Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries