Fort Howard

Fort Howard


Baltimore, Maryland (MD), US
An Endicott period fort named in honor of Colonel John Eager Howard, a distinguished officer of the Maryland Line during the Revolution. It is located on North Point at the Patapsco River entrance. Batteries here are Battery Key (1900 - 1927), Battery Stricker (1899 - 1918), Battery Nicholson (1900 - 1927), Battery Harris (1900 - 1917), Battery Clagett (1901 - 1920), and Battery Lazear (1900 - 1920), which was destroyed. A Veterans Affairs hospital has occupied the post garrison area of the fort since 1940. This was the chief defense and harbor headquarters for Baltimore during this time. Remnants of two mine towers still remain, and two fire-control towers still existed until 1980.
An Endicott period fort named in honor of Colonel John Eager Howard, a distinguished officer of the Maryland Line during the Revolution. It is located on North Point at the Patapsco River entrance. Batteries here are Battery Key (1900 - 1927), Battery Stricker (1899 - 1918), Battery Nicholson (1900 - 1927), Battery Harris (1900 - 1917), Battery Clagett (1901 - 1920), and Battery Lazear (1900 - 1920), which was destroyed. A Veterans Affairs hospital has occupied the post garrison area of the fort since 1940. This was the chief defense and harbor headquarters for Baltimore during this time. Remnants of two mine towers still remain, and two fire-control towers still existed until 1980.
View in Google Earth Military - Historic
Links: www.geocities.com
By: kjfitz

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement