Of the former Fort Pitt, only one original structure remains: Bouquet's Blockhouse. This square brick building was built in 1764 as a retreat near the actual fort. It escaped the wrecking ball when the fort was dismantled and was long used as a residential building. It is now the oldest building in Pittsburgh.
The Fort Pitt had five sides, with a bastion at each side. Three of those bastions have been recreated: the Flag Bastion, the Monongahela Bastion and the Music Bastion. The Monongahela Bastion houses the Fort Pitt Museum where you can see a model of Fort Pitt. The museum also depicts the history of the area and the fort in particular.
In the middle of the 18th century, before the city of Pittsburgh was even founded, The Point had a strategic military value since it controlled access to the Ohio river, which connected the French colonies in the north (Canada) with Louisiana in the south.
During the French and Indian war between 1754 and 1763, British troops fought against the French and their native American allies for control over the area. In 1754 French and native American troops conquered a small colonial garrison at The Point and constructed Fort Duquesne.
Four years later an army of over 6000 British troops reclaimed The Point. Fort Duquesne, which had been destroyed by the French during their retreat, was rebuilt as Fort Pittborough, named after the English Prime Minister.
The Fort Pitt as it was known became one of the most extensive strongholds in North America. The Fort was in use until 1792 when it was dismantled. Houses were then built on the fort's foundations.
Already in the early 1900s The Point had become a run-down area but it took until 1945 before plans were made to turn the 36 acres into a historical park.
29 Years later, in 1974, the dedication of the large fountain marked the official completion of the Point State Park. The fountain's central jet is powered by two pumps which push the water up to 150ft high. Its basin measures 200 ft in diameter.
The park, designed by landscape architect Ralph E. Griswold, also features a riverfront promenade and a bike trail.
Category: Military - Historic