Fort Saint John of the Cross (El Cañuelo)

Fort Saint John of the Cross (El Cañuelo)


San Juan, Puerto Rico (PR)
Named San Juan de la Cruz (St. John of the Cross), it is usually called El Cañuelo after the tiny island on which it was built. A wooden stockade originally defended this site, but Dutch attackers burned it during their 1625 assault. A stone fort was built in the 1660s to help defend the harbor entrance and the mouth of the Bayamón River, which linked San Juan to inland settlements.
Named San Juan de la Cruz (St. John of the Cross), it is usually called El Cañuelo after the tiny island on which it was built. A wooden stockade originally defended this site, but Dutch attackers burned it during their 1625 assault. A stone fort was built in the 1660s to help defend the harbor entrance and the mouth of the Bayamón River, which linked San Juan to inland settlements.
View in Google Earth Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: Ozzy

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement