Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume

Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume


Paris, France (FR)
The Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume is a museum of contemporary art in the north-west corner of the Tuileries Gardens in Paris.

The building was constructed in 1861 during the reign of Napoleon III. It originally housed tennis courts; the name is from the precursor of tennis, the jeu de paume.

It was used from 1940 to 1944 to store Jewish cultural property looted by the Nazi regime in France (see Rose Valland).

Before 1986, it contained the Musée du Jeu de Paume, which held many important impressionist works now in the Musée d'Orsay.
The Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume is a museum of contemporary art in the north-west corner of the Tuileries Gardens in Paris.

The building was constructed in 1861 during the reign of Napoleon III. It originally housed tennis courts; the name is from the precursor of tennis, the jeu de paume.

It was used from 1940 to 1944 to store Jewish cultural property looted by the Nazi regime in France (see Rose Valland).

Before 1986, it contained the Musée du Jeu de Paume, which held many important impressionist works now in the Musée d'Orsay.
View in Google Earth Museums - Arts
Links: www.jeudepaume.org
By: kjfitz

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement