1858. Inactive since 1942 (a decorative flashing light is displayed). 6 m (20 ft) hexagonal wood keeper's house surmounted by a hexagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. This lighthouse was originally located on a screwpile platform off Palacios Point in the central part of Matagorda Bay. The lighthouse was deactivated, sold, and relocated onshore following a 1942 hurricane. In 1978, it was donated by its owner, Bill Bauer, to the Calhoun County Historical Commission. Bauer also endowed a trust fund for future maintenance. The lighthouse was then relocated a second time to the Port Lavaca Community Park in Port Lavaca, at the west end of the bay, where it is in service as the Port Lavaca Visitors Center.
Category: Buildings - Misc