Harewood House was built from 1759 to 1770 for the Lascelles family, who had bought the estate after making their fortune in the West Indies through Customs positions, slave trading and lending money to planters. The house was designed by the architects John Carr and Robert Adam. The house is still the family home of the Lascelles family. Lord Harewood, George Lascelles, is the seventh Earl. His mother was Mary, Princess Royal, daughter of King George V and Queen Mary. The estate has been transferred into a trust ownership structure, and as a result is managed by Harewood House Trust and is open to the public throughout the year.
Category: Homes - Famous