The City Hall of Lyon is a work of Simon Maupin from 1646. Soon after its inauguration, in 1674, a fire partially destroyed the building. The reconstuction was supervised by Hardouin-Mansart. Inside the building the Marseillaise was sung for the first time, during the seat of the Revolutionary Court in 1792.
With its 65 bells, the Town Hall's carillon is one of the most important in Europe. The bells are played on Sunday evenings during the summer and once a week the rest of the year.
Categories: Government - Local