Originally constructed for the US Navy, the Howard 500-109 began in 1943 as a Lockheed PV-1. After WWII, it saw service in the South African Air Force and then was sold to D.U. Howard in San Antonio Texas for $750. Howard re-manufactured the PV-1, converting it from a military transport into an executive aircraft, becoming the Howard 500. After being sold again in 1997, at the time of the Birds Eye fly-over, it was being restored at Anoka County-Blaine Airport to be airworthy by late 2005.
No Longer There