The Kakaʻako Pumping Station in Honolulu, Hawaii was designed by architect Oliver G. Traphagen in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. He also designed many such bold stone public works buildings in Duluth, Minnesota.
Built in 1900, the pumping station features large arched windows, exterior walls of local lava rock, roofs of green tile, and a smokestack 76 feet tall. It was the first sewerage pumping station in Honolulu, Hawaii, designed to address the serious sanitation problems of the rapidly growing city. It is located on an acre of land between the Kewalo Basin and Downtown Honolulu, at Ala Moana Boulevard and Keawe Street.