The two-story concrete brick fire station, constructed in 1909, initially housed horse-drawn equipment and horses and was the last station in Wichita to be converted to motorized vehicles. Built to serve as a front line fire house for the south side of Wichita, the station was active until 1953, when a new fire station #6 was built at Santa Fe and Mt. Vernon. It was then used by the Wichita Fire Reserve until 1988 and is now the home of the Kansas Firefighter's Museum.
Categories: Museums - History