The "Lausitz-Kaserne" in the small town of Doberlug-Kirchhain in Brandenburg is one of the best military facilities in germany. Starting in 1945 as a base for russian units, it was later used by the "NVA" (the army of the former German Democratic Republic). It was taken over by the german army in 1990 and extensively modernized to meet requirements of the new owners. It is now home for the "Fallschirmjaegerbataillon 373" (an airborne infantry unit), activated in 1996, and some maintenance and administrative units, with a total of ca. 1600 soldiers and civilians.
Due to the restructuring concept of the german defense ministry, personnel will be reduced to 500 civilans. "Fallschirmjaegerbataillon 373" will relocate to Seedorf until 2007.
Category: Military - Bases