Longview Farm was built by Robert A. Long. In planning the farm Long again turned to Henry F. Hoit of Hoit, Price and Barnes, as he had designed Corinthian Hall and the R.A. Long Building. George Kessler was chosen as the landscape architect. The farm and over 50 other structures was built on 1,780 acres. Construction started in 1913 and completed in 1914 taking just 18 months to complete. The result is what came to be known as the The World's Most Beautiful Farm. Construction workers included 50 Belgian craftsmen and 200 Sicilian stonemasons, among 2,000 other workers employed, to build the Longview Mansion and farm.
Homes - Historic
Employing 175 people the farm not only consisted of all the amenities to care for the Longs prize horses but also a modern dairy, including prize Jersey cows, that produced enough milk for the farm, community, and charities. Hogs, chickens, farm land for the food, as well as green houses and a manicured main yard of 225 acres, were all part of the expansive farm. Scenic and self-sufficient the farm and dairy even included underground electricity and a 100,000 gallon water tower.
No expense was spared on the 22,000 square foot structure with 48 rooms, 6 fireplaces, 14 bedrooms and 10 baths. It also claimed the first central vacuum system west of the Mississippi as well as steam heating.