Memorial Hall, situated on the highest point on the city’s lake bank above Lake Michigan, was designed by a well-known, successful Midwestern architect, Howard Van Doren Shaw (1869-1926). Neoclassical in style, the Hall’s construction materials include Indiana limestone and brick. The roof is covered with copper.
The main facade faces south and features a two-story raised portico in front of the end gable of the main roof. The portico cornice is supported by four Corinthian columns. Centered above the cornice, in full sculpted form, is the seal of the State of Wisconsin flanked by sculpted eagles. Under the portico on the front wall’s left and right sides are eagles and wreaths in carved relief. Over the main entry doors incised into stone are the words, WE SHALL NOT FORGET.
On the west side of the building between the covered windows are six seals commemorating wars in which United States citizens have fought.