The Milwaukee City Hall, at 353 feet (108 m) tall, is one of the oldest standing skyscrapers. It is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S. It was finished in 1895 and at the time was the third tallest structure in the nation. The hall has a distinctive red hue.
Milwaukee City Hall was designed by architect Henry Koch in Richardsonian-Romanesque style with a Flemish-German Renaissance Revival influence. Due to Milwaukee's historic German immigrant population, many of the surrounding buildings mirror this design. The foundation consists of 2,500 cedar piles which were driven in to the marshy land surrounding the Milwaukee River. The upper part of the tower was rebuilt after a fire in October 1929. As of 2005, the entire buildling is being renovated.
City Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 2005.
City Hall was the marketing symbol of Milwaukee until the completion of the Calatrava wing of the Milwaukee Art Museum in 2001, but the bell tower continues to be used as a municipal icon.
The bell in City Hall was named after Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee's first mayor. It was designed and crafted by the Campbells, who were early pioneers in creating diving chambers and suits near the Great Lakes area during that time.
Category: Government - Local