From www.faroestamps.fo:

The first real lighthouse in the Faroes was built in 1893, and during that same year, no less than 6 lighthouses were built on the islands, which were of inestimable importance for the ever growing deep sea fishing fleet, and the increasing trade with the outher world.

Among these beacons was Nólsoy lighthouse, which is the largest - and is recogned to be the brightest beacon in the North Atlantic. It is sending its light from a tower, 14 metres tall, made of basalt and granite rock and placed 62 metres above the sea level, on Nólsoy’s southwesternmost point, and in its immediate vicinity is the rocky mountain Kápulin.

During the Second World War, all lighthouses on the Faroes were blacked out, as they were in other countries affected by the war. The powerstation, the radio beacon and the fog signal unit on Nólsoy were totally destroyed and the staff quarters were seriously damaged in an air raid in 1941.

After the introduction of home rule for the Faroes within the Danish Kingdom in 1948, it was agreed upon to make the lighthouse service a joint concern between the Danish state and the Faroese local government, and then the much needed repair work could start.
The power station on Mykines islet, supplying the Mykines lighthouse with electrical power, was worn out, and the Stóra Dímun lighthouse was about to topple into the sea after a landslide on the small island..
The three big lighthouses, on Nólsoy, Mykines and Akraberg each got a new power station and a new radia beacon, and in keeping with the technical advances, the lighthouses have been automated and the lighthouse staffs reduced accordingly.
View in Google Earth Categories: Lighthouses
Links: www.faroestamps.fo
By: AlbinoFlea
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement