Lavernock Battery was built at Lavernock Point, Wales on the recommendations of the 1859 Royal Commission.
Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries
It was the most northerly of a chain of defences across the Bristol Channel, protecting the access to Bristol and Cardiff. The battery was originally armed with three 7" RMLs, which was increased to four at sometime before 1895. By 1903 the guns had been replaced by two 6" breech-loading guns.
The site is largely gone, with what remains being included in a holiday caravan and chalet park.