The Park-McCullough Historic House is one of the finest and best-preserved Victorian mansions in New England. It is a thirty-five room mansion, set on 200 acres (80 hectares) of grounds, and located in North Bennington, Vermont, USA.
Museums - History
The house was built in 1864-65 by attorney and entrepreneur Trenor W. Park (1823-1882), who was born in nearby Woodford, Vermont but amassed his fortune overseeing the mining interests of John C. Fremont in California. It was designed by Henry Dudley, a prolific New York architect of the popular firm of Diaper and Dudley. The house cost $75,000 and the family moved in on Christmas Day, 1865. His descendants made extensive renovations to the house in 1889-90, largely in order to entertain President Benjamin Harrison who had come to town to dedicate the new Bennington Battle Monument.
The Park-McCullough house is an important example of an American country house in the Second Empire Style. It also incorporates architectural features of the Romantic Revival style popular at the time.
The house is now owned by a non-profit organization and is open to the public.