The Pommern, formerly the Mneme (1903–1908), is a windjammer. She is a four-masted barque that was built 1903 in Glasgow at J. Reid & Co shipyard.
Sea - Sailing Ships, Vehicle - Boats
The Pommern (German for Pomerania) is one of the Flying P-Liners, the famous sailing ships of the German shipping company F. Laeisz. Later she belonged to Gustaf Erikson (Åland) who used her to carry grain from Spencer Gulf area in Australia to harbours in England or Ireland until the start of World War II. After World War Two, she was donated to town of Mariehamn as a museum ship.
She is now a museum ship anchored in Mariehamn, Åland. A magnificent collection of photographs taken by Ordinary Seaman Peter Karney in 1933 showing dramatic pictures of life on a sailing ship rounding Cape Horn can be found in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich. Some of these photographs can be found in the wonderfully graphic and illustrated account of voyages round Cape Horn that has been published in Swedish by Harry Hedenström who served as a cook on the Pommern entitled Runt Hornet som Kock (Round the Horn as a ship's cook).
Links: en.wikipedia.org, www.mariehamn.ax