1871. Inactive since 1987. 50 m (165 ft) cast iron tripod tower with central cylinder, lantern, and gallery. The lighthouse was originally painted black. This lighthouse was built by the French as part of the Suez Canal project. It is very rare, with only a few surviving examples anywhere of its design. Abandoned for two decades, it is clearly endangered. Located on a headland at Ra's Gharib, on the west side of the Gulf of Suez about 160 km (100 mi) south of Suez city. Site status unknown; there is a tank farm and petroleum loading dock nearby.
View in Google Earth Categories: Lighthouses
Links: www.rasgharib.net, www.panoramio.com
By: WacoKidd110
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement