Tucson Airport / Downtown Tucson Airport (2SE)
An airfield was evidently established on this spot at some point between 1937-41. The Tucson Airport at this location was evidently closed at some point between 1941-43 (possibly due to the war). At some point between 1945-49, this airfield was evidently reopened as “Tucson Downtown Airport”. Tucson Downtown apparently closed around 1976 as it was not listed in the November 1977 Flight Guide.
According to an article entitled “Bioscience park a tech boost?” by David Pitman in the 6/21/06 issue of the Tucson Citizen, the former airport property was sold in 2005 by the Sinclair Oil Company to a group of developers, who are hoping to redevelop the site into a massive “Bioscience park”, touted as “the largest infill project in Tucson's history.”
Categories: Air Ports