Richmond NAS was built in 1941-2 as a base for spotter blimps used to protect Florida-area shipping from German U-Boat attacks. It survived the war intact but was destroyed on September 15, 1945, when a suspected Category 4 hurricane hit the airfield directly. One of the enormous blimp hangars caught fire, possibly from a spark, and every building on the field was destroyed, along with all aircraft on the field at the time.
The former airfield is now used as a parking area for the Miami Metro Zoo. The building foundations are long gone, but one of the oblong blimp tiedowns can still be seen at the bottom of this image.
, Military - Naval Air Stations
, Military - Historic