The Reynolds facility is a primary aluminum reduction plant where alumina from bauxite is reduced to aluminum.
The plant was completed in 1941 for the United States government war-time operations. Reynolds first leased the plant from the government in June 1946, and purchased it in June 1949. Currently, Reynolds owns the 80.25-acre plant area and approximately 500 surrounding acres. The aluminum reduction plant has been shut down since November 1991 for economic reasons. Currently, there are approximately 100 workers for maintenance, security, administration, and casting ingots from molten aluminum transported to the plant from the Reynolds reduction plant in Longview, Washington.
Large quantities of wastes were produced at the Reynolds plant during the production of aluminum. Twenty-one separate waste streams were identified by Reynolds in response to an EPA information request letter. Major hazardous substances of concern include polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), aluminum and other metals associated with bauxite, cyanide, fluoride, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) from electrical equipment.
Category: Companies - Plants/Factories