Following the surrender of France to German forces later in June 1940, the port immediately became a base of operations for the Kriegsmarine (German Navy) and was as such the target of Allied operations. A heavily fortified U-boat submarine base was built by Organisation Todt shortly after occupation, with its 9 m (30-ft) thick concrete ceiling was capable of withstanding almost any bomb in use at the time.
View in Google Earth Categories: Military - Navy and Coast Guard, Military - Bunkers
Links: en.wikipedia.org, www.ww1cemeteries.com
By: Parabellum

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload