In 1951 Metropolitan Leonty blessed the newly purchased site at Massachusetts Avenue and Edmunds Street, our current location.
In 1955 after the death of Bishop Jonah (rector), Archpriest Arkady Moiseyev became Rector of St. Nicholas Church. Fr Moiseyev guided St. Nicholas through the building and dedication of our current facility. The edifice was completed in late 1962 and was dedicated as a National War Memorial Shrine in 1963.
In 1991 St. Nicholas Cathedral was honored to have a group of dedicated iconographers arrive from Moscow. Led by Alexander Moskalionov, they wrote icons throughout the Narthex in traditional style. Several new icons were created commemorating the arrival of Orthodoxy to America as well as the tragedies in Russia in the early part of the 20th century. This project was completed in the fall of 1994. A new iconostasis was made to compliment the iconography and was installed in 1995.
Category: Religious - Christianity