This 18,000 square foot magnificent Italianate palace with a 250' veranda and an expansive lawn is visible from downtown Lake Geneva. The estate was built in 1900-1901 by Otto Young, a man who made his fortune buying real estate along State Street in Chicago following the great fire of 1871. It was constructed for over $1,000,000 and features such as gold-plated fixtures, a basement bowling alley, and a third floor miniature golf course astounded even the wealthiest resident. The property was a single family home until 1939 when it was presented to the order of St. Anne to be used as an Episcopalian private school for girls. The school was discontinued after only a few years. Later the mansion housed an elegant French restaurant Around the 1980's the mansion and remaining property were purchased for back taxes, reportedly for $74,000. It has recently been restored and converted to 6 condominiums ranging in price up to $1.6 million.
View in Google Earth Categories: Hotels
Links: www.genevalakefrontrealty.com
By: CheesyCheetah
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
CheesyCheetah picture
@ 2012-08-21 22:38:00
Absolutely beautiful inside and out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHoMjcSNJUc
Advertisement