Using his own plans, Frederick William IV had the Belvedere on the Pfingstberg constructed on account of its beautiful views. He received architectural stimulation for this building during his trip to Rome in 1828.
The construction of the Belvedere began in 1847. The two towers were created first, containing a Roman and a Moorish Gallery respectively, as well as the connecting northern gallery. This was followed by the first inner courtyard, enclosed by lateral arcades topped with colonnades. The second inner courtyard was intended to be framed by wing walls and crowning towers facing south.