This sculpture is a memorial to the men who died in the sinking of the Titanic on April 15, 1912, many giving up their space in the lifeboats for women and children. The sculpture was done by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney. The architect was Henry Bacon. The memorial stands in a park on the Washington Channel, across from East Potomac Park. The park was designed by Sasaki, Dawson, and Demay in 1967-68.
Given Washington, DC's in-land geography, it may seem slightly inappropriate for Gertrude Vanderbuilt Whitney's statue to be here; Waterside Park, however, is just as appropriate as where it used to stand near the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and Rock Creek Parkway.