The University of Minnesota Steam Plant is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally built in 1903 for the Twin City Rapid Transit Company, the steam plant provided power for the metro area streetcar system. At present, it produces heat for the U of M, which has owned the structure since 1976. The structure measures 155' x 255' and sits 68' tall, not including the four massive smoke stacks. Architecturally, it is an example of the Second Renaissance Revival Style. This style commonly organized the facade into distinct horizontal belts, often differing in material, finish, and window treatment.
Category: Schools - Colleges/Universities