RAF Station Winthorpe, No. 51 Base, was opened as a satellite station for RAF Swinderby. Early operations were mainly centred on the Polish squadrons 300 and 301, who usually flew Fairey Battles, operating from Winthorpe when Swinderby was water logged.
9/40 to 02/42, Satellite to Swinderby (then Syerston) with 300 and 301 Polish Sqns with Battles and Wellingtons, then 455 Sqn Hampdens.
1942, Closed for most of the year when it was rebuilt with concrete runways. After construction it was found that the main runway take-off was over a vital roller bearing factory!
10/42 to 08/45, Again Satellite for Swinderby with 1661 HCU with Manchesters and Lancasters, later Halifaxes and Stirlings, finally Lancasters.
08/45 to 07/47, Transferred to Transport Command and used as a Drop Zone. Then used by 1331 Heavy Transport Conversion Unit with Halifaxes.
Transferred to Maintenance Command until closure.
Category: Military - Historic - Closed Facility