Worsley Delph and entrance to underground canals

Worsley Delph and entrance to underground canals


Worsley, United Kingdom (GB)
The Bridgewater Canal was opened in 1761 to carry coal from Duke of Bridgewater's mines at Worsley. The Duke's land agent, John Gilbert, saw that it was possible to connect the canal directly to the mines by way of an underground canal. This in turn could be used to help with draining the mines, providing a source of water for the canal. 47 miles of underground canals were constructed, on four different levels, connected by a water powered inclined plane and lifts.
The Bridgewater Canal was opened in 1761 to carry coal from Duke of Bridgewater's mines at Worsley. The Duke's land agent, John Gilbert, saw that it was possible to connect the canal directly to the mines by way of an underground canal. This in turn could be used to help with draining the mines, providing a source of water for the canal. 47 miles of underground canals were constructed, on four different levels, connected by a water powered inclined plane and lifts.
View in Google Earth Tunnels, Canals
Links: www.penninewaterways.co.uk
By: Hinkkanen

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement