The American Chemical Society was founded April 6, 1876, at a meeting at the College of Pharmacy in New York. The 35 charter members created a forum for meeting and sharing ideas and an outlet to publish their research.
In 1941, ACS purchased its first headquarters building in Washington, DC, at 1155 16th St., NW an address that it still occupies today. Previously, the Society rented quarters in New York, Brooklyn, Durham, NH and Washington, DC. The present headquarters building was originally constructed on this site in 1960 and was thoroughly renovated in 1994.