Oval track auto racing here dates back to 1949. The original track (known as Delmar Speedway) was a different 1/2 mile dirt oval, which was paved in 1953. After 1958, oval track racing was absent until a new track was created west of the drag strip in 1965. In 1969, the racers migrated to a new 1/3 mile dirt oval track which was created east of the drag strip. The 1/3 mile track was eventually lengthened to the current 1/2 mile oval used today.
The racing complex was named the 8th most visited tourist attraction in the state.