Charles Marburg gave $25,000 to his brother Theodore to commission a monument to his favorite poet, Francis Scott Key, prior to his death in 1907. The French sculptor Marius Jean Antonin Mercie was the selected artist. At the time, Mercie was known for European sculptures as well as the Robert E. Lee (1890) equestrian bronze in Richmond, Virginia, and collaboration on General Lafayette (1891) in the District of Columbia. The Monument was erected and dedicated in 1911. The Monument was rededicated on September 11, 1999 following a $125,000 restoration.