Military Museum

Military Museum


Lisbon, Portugal (PT)
The 18th C. classical building on the Largo dos Camnihos de Ferro houses the Museu Militar (Military Museum; entrance on the west side). In 1851 General José Baptista da Silva founded the Artillery Museum here and since 1926 it has been known as the Military Museum. A site was chosen with a relevant past history. Since the beginning of the 18th C. guns had been manufactured in an earlier building which burnt down in 1726. Weapons were produced in the present building up until the 20th C. For a long time the building served as the "Royal Arsenal". The main portal was built in the 18th C. by the French architect Maurice de Larre, the portal on the west side was completed by the Portuguese sculptor Teixeira Lopes at the beginning of the 20th C. On display are a variety of historical war documents, rows of weapons from different eras: cannons of all sizes, rifles, clubs, crossbows and a sword belonging to Vasco da Gama. Two rooms are devoted to the origins and development of Portuguese weapons. The museum's collection also includes reports from the Colonial Wars between 1961 and 1974. Parts of the ceilings and walls are extensively painted with glorified battle scenes.
The 18th C. classical building on the Largo dos Camnihos de Ferro houses the Museu Militar (Military Museum; entrance on the west side). In 1851 General José Baptista da Silva founded the Artillery Museum here and since 1926 it has been known as the Military Museum. A site was chosen with a relevant past history. Since the beginning of the 18th C. guns had been manufactured in an earlier building which burnt down in 1726. Weapons were produced in the present building up until the 20th C. For a long time the building served as the "Royal Arsenal". The main portal was built in the 18th C. by the French architect Maurice de Larre, the portal on the west side was completed by the Portuguese sculptor Teixeira Lopes at the beginning of the 20th C. On display are a variety of historical war documents, rows of weapons from different eras: cannons of all sizes, rifles, clubs, crossbows and a sword belonging to Vasco da Gama. Two rooms are devoted to the origins and development of Portuguese weapons. The museum's collection also includes reports from the Colonial Wars between 1961 and 1974. Parts of the ceilings and walls are extensively painted with glorified battle scenes.
View in Google Earth Military - Misc, Museums - History
By: adrbr

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement