The station was built as a training airfield, opening in 1940. It was later taken over by 5 Group of Bomber Command as a heavy bomber base, and was expanded by the building of concrete runways later in the war. During the 1950s, the station was home to a number of Canadian squadrons.
From 1959 to 1963, North Luffenham was home to PGM-17 Thor intermediate range ballistic missiles.
The station was taken over later by the British Army and became St George's Barracks, currently home to 3rd Battalion, the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment. In Aug 2007, 16th Regiment Royal Artillery is due to relocate here from Woolwich.