Forums

Pics contest and adding maps

Pages: 1
romulusnr
02/23/06 05:00 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
There is scant info on the pics contest. It occurs to me that I might have pictures of a place that is not in GGT, so I add it to GGT, and then add my pics. Seems like it could be considered a little questionable. What's the thoughts on that?
kjfitz
02/23/06 06:18 PM

I think that's a great idea. (Of course we may end up with a lot of local fast food joints and stuff but that usually settles out.)

I went through my European trip pictures and posted some of those sites a while back just so I could post the pictures.

Go ahead. It is well within the rules. Actually it is a two-fer. We get new pictures AND new maps.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
edv
02/23/06 08:18 PM

I didn't even realize that there was a contest until I'd uploaded some pics.
Oh well. If I do end up winning something, just donate it to the server fund or whatever is needed.
nic
02/24/06 12:06 AM

Well, we're just trying to get a little more participation with the Pics, but there must be something un-attactive about it.

Is it too clumsy?
Too slow to use?
Not fun?
Not worth your time?

I'd love some feedback on it.
edv
02/24/06 01:04 PM

Submitting pics is way easier than submitting new maps from scratch. IMO. So, no, it's not clumsy or slow.
Maybe the big pic/story form intimidates some, dunno.

Pic submitters should be forced to enter a nice caption, though, I'd say. Makes the viewing experience better.
romulusnr
02/24/06 01:52 PM

I think just that a lot of people don't have pictures of these places lying around in digital form. I think the only place I had pictures of prior to GGT's pics feature was the Glass Museum. I don't usually go places and snap good pics. (Well, I would, but it can be annoying to others.)

The ones I've done lately have been on lunch break or other times, mostly with my simple cameraphone, taken on purpose for GGT.

Also, a lot of people don't take pics of the outside of a place e.g. a convention center or etc. Usually they take pictures of an event, or a person, or a sunset, etc. not of a building. (I would, but I'm different.) If I take pictures at a birthday party held at the park, is that really good as a site pic?

It's also not great weather in most of the county for pic taking.

Also, there's always the fear of getting in a mess over innocent picture taking. E.g. the guy who was arrested for snapping the Ballard locks. Everyone thinks people who take pictures are suspicious. Especially if they don't look like a random tourist but are deliberately photoing a place. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid -- I've had cops called on me for geocaching, so I wouldn't be surprised at having cops called on me for picture taking. (Funny how people don't seem to mind governments putting cameras everywhere but do mind regular people taking pictures.)

Someday I hope GGT pics policy will open up to public domain or creative commons licensed photos that weren't taken by the uploader. That would increase the pic count.
nic
02/24/06 02:21 PM

Thanks for your input, both of you.

You've brought up an interesting point about CC-licenced Pics. We had previously discussed this, allowing users to tag their Pics with CC licenses. However, you bring up an even better idea that we should be able to allow uploads of already-CC-licensed Pics (the ones that allow redistribution) from other sources (Flickr, etc).

I will ponder this over the weekend, and maybe come up with something for it next week!
romulusnr
02/24/06 02:21 PM

Oh, and I'm never going to have pictures as cool as edv's of Egyptian pyramids and varied sites in Libya and Sydney.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5023